International Travel for Pets

Travelling with your pet and ensuring appropriate paperwork and import permits(required by some countries only) have been completed can be a  tremendous task. Different countries have different requirements  and  some countries may require 6-8 months careful planning prior to your trip, particularly for places with ‘rabies free’ status, such as New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Hawaii and the U.K. (just to name a few!).

To avoid any stress, it is best to contact the country you are traveling to well in advance to get these steps -

1.Call the country’s consulate or embassy of the country you are travelling to and ask them about current requirements for importation of a pet into the country .

2. Contact your airline provider to ensure you have certain requirements specific to your airline and flight, such as required paperwork and correct kennel for travel. 

In addition some airlines might have restrictions on travelling with some breeds of dogs such as brachycephalic.

Finally, contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) help as they are responsible for movement of animals around the world and endorsement of all the paperwork.

Here is the contact info for CFIA Burnaby office :

 Unit 400-4321 Still Creek Dr

Burnaby, BC V5C 6S7

Phone # 604-292-5700

email : [email protected]

Here is a link to information regarding exportation documents on their website:

Please call or email CFIA to book an appointment to have your health certificate issued by us endorsed before travel.

We will happily assist you in getting any treatments, tests, vaccines or lab work needed along with the INTERNATIONAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE ready for your trip.Due to the varied and often changing requirements of each country, it is the owner’s responsibility to research and make sure they have all documents and requirements ready before coming in for their appointment. 

Contact Us


Find us on the map